POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Ruins WIP #3 : Re: Ruins WIP #3 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ruins WIP #3
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 15 Mar 2009 10:55:00
Message: <web.49bd163aa53135e3219167190@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> The gaps between the floor and the feet of the pillars are way too wide, and
> most of all way too deep; if they'd have formed at all (hey, how much weight is
> resting on the things?), I fancy they should be filled with dirt.

See previous post. A remedy is currently underway.

> Looks like you tried to have the floor "sink" a bit, as someone suggested
> earlier, but think about why that should happen:
>
> Abrasion from sand being blown through the building.
> Abrasion from tourist feet.

You missed one: because it was built that way.

Honestly, physical erosion never occurred to me, and certainly wasn't the look I
was going for. I don't understand how it could happen that way, either - the
edges of the inner courtyard floor are far too sharp for a slow erosion. I
think this is clearly a deliberately raised, paved gallery around a bare inner
floor, which might even be the unmodified floor level from before the building
was put up.